- What can I say instead of despite?
- Can despite start a sentence?
- What is a good sentence for despite?
- What is the meaning of Despite the weather?
- What do the word despite mean?
- What is the meaning of beside himself?
- What does let himself go mean?
- How do you use the word despite?
- What is the difference between Despite And despite of?
- Is Despite followed by of?
- What does despite the fact mean?
What can I say instead of despite?
other words for despiteagainst.although.even though.even with.in contempt of.in defiance of.in the face of.notwithstanding..
Can despite start a sentence?
Both despite and in spite of are prepositions that show contrast. They can show up at the start of a sentence or in the middle, but you’ll often need an extra clause to show the flip side. For example: In spite of this dependent clause, this sentence needs an independent clause (this one!) to be a full sentence.
What is a good sentence for despite?
1 Despite everything, she bore her former boss no animosity. 2 Despite the bad weather, we enjoyed ourselves. 3 Despite my repeated assurances, Rob still looked very nervous. 4 I still enjoyed the week despite the weather.
What is the meaning of Despite the weather?
/dɪˈspaɪt/ B1. without taking any notice of or being influenced by; not prevented by: I still enjoyed the week despite the weather. Despite repeated assurances that the product is safe, many people have stopped buying it.
What do the word despite mean?
3. Despite is defined as not affected by or in spite of. An example of despite is when you go outside even though the fact that it is raining. preposition.
What is the meaning of beside himself?
beside oneself In a state of extreme agitation or excitement, as in She was beside herself when she found she’d lost her ring, or Peter was beside himself with joy-he’d won the poetry award. This phrase appears in the New Testament (Acts 26:24): “Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning makes thee mad.” [
What does let himself go mean?
1 : to behave in a very free and open way She has a hard time relaxing and letting herself go. 2 : to fail to take care of oneself I was very depressed back then and had really let myself go.
How do you use the word despite?
Although, even though, in spite of and despite are all used to link two contrasting ideas or show that one fact makes the other fact surprising. They can all be used at the beginning or in the middle of the sentence. Despite the rain, we enjoyed the festival. We enjoyed the festival, despite the rain.
What is the difference between Despite And despite of?
Yes, you should use despite. The word despite is a preposition which takes a noun as its object, and doesn’t require of. Despite of is incorrect, and sounds distinctly non-native. (You’re probably getting confused by the similar phrase in spite of.
Is Despite followed by of?
Despite and in spite of mean exactly the same, but despite is more common than in spite of. Despite and in spite of are prepositions. Both expressions can be followed by a noun or noun-equivalent. I enjoyed the movie despite having a headache.
What does despite the fact mean?
1. used for saying that something happens even though something else might have prevented it. Three more nuclear power stations were built despite widespread opposition. despite the fact that: He still loves her, despite the fact that she left him.